Monday, March 9, 2009

Saturday, February 28th, 2009-“Rain, Rain, Go Away”

Today was a great day (now that I am writing this on Wednesday)!  At the time I may not have had the same sentiments, but time has given me some perspective.  But really, the day was great even when it was happening!  Julian and I received a text from one of the Hina Branch employees that they were thinking of going to the beach that day.  I was worried that I was not going to have the proper attire for the beach, as I still do not have any swim trunks… then I remembered the “proper” beach outing included anything BUT swimming.  So, we saddled up and we went to Duncalen Beach (the same beach that we went to with Mme Juneth).

Did I mention that I drove the motorbike there?  Cause I did.  It was the first true test of my skills.  I drove for about 25 minutes straight and only managed to terrify onlookers a handful of time (joking).  We made it there and we joined, unbeknownst to us, with the Branch Manager of Bobon Branch, Laarni.  This is the person’s birthday party I attended earlier in the week and the beach party was nothing short of the birthday party.  Complete with pancit (local noodle that is eaten during birthdays to promote long life… it also happens to promote the satisfaction of the palate… very delicious and I have it frequently, I have extended my life at least 20 years by the amount of pancit I eat), fish, chicken, rice, deserts and, the staple, San Miguel beer… not to mention great company.  I met Laarni’s uncle, Albert, who was in town for vacation, but was currently working in the Middle East as a chiropractor.  He spoke very good English  and was a pleasure to talk to.

Upon arrival, the Hina Branch pawned us off to Laarni (they did not really pawn us off, they were going to get supplies).  I was then formally introduced to the Filipino tradition of sharing one glass between the group during drinking sessions.  I have not really received the formal reasoning behind this, but I do have my theories.  First of all, I have not received the formal reasoning because I usually start drinking and after a couple, I just don’t care… but one of these days I will get it out of them!  Alright, here is Jon’s ideas of why this occurs, there are many:

1.     The use of one glass keeps the dishes down to a minimum and makes drinking sessions much more enjoyable to clean up… i.e. it would not be a big deal to just throw the cup away.

2.     It puts pressure on the person who is drinking to finish quickly because other people are waiting, causing the drinking time to be significantly enhanced.

3.     It also promotes responsibility between the group, nobody can drink more than their lot… they are given a drink and then it passes to the next person, you cannot take seconds.

4.     Taking your time is not an option (see number 2)

5.     It is a sense of community where you only share one glass, and it really does spark more conversation for some reason, I don’t know why (see previous comment regarding “after having a couple”)

The real reason is probably due to something a bit more dramatic, like symbolizing the passing of the one cup at the last supper or something like that… I will get to the bottom of it (the reason, not the glass) and let you know.

After the drinking session, I decided it was time to swim, in my khaki shorts… so I did.  After going out into the ocean about 50 meters and still with the water only up to my waist, I grew tired and turned around.  It was quite refreshing and I had to swim while I was in the Philippines or I am sure I would get made fun of if this did not occur (getting made fun of is something I am willing to accept, as it occurs daily).

After the beach, we decided that it was time to, what else, go to Video-Cinqo (videoke).  Filipinos call videoke “Video-Cinqo” because it costs five (Cinqo) pesos to play a song.  I am not sure what they will call it when the price goes up, probably just video-cinqo still.  We went to a town that was fairly close, San Jose.  It is the hometown of one of the Hina Branch staff, Albert, so he know his way around.  I had also spent a few days in San Jose, but by no means could navigate… I was still driving (don’t worry, the “drinking session” above included actually two-beer and took place over the span of three hours).  Video-Cinqo was fun and I actually found a couple of songs that I could sing… fairly well… not possible, I know.

We departed San Jose around 11 o’clock and headed back to Catarman (approximately 45 minutes away).  When we left, I noticed the gas-light was on and so I stopped the Loan Officers in front of me (Diana and Donna)… Diana cordially turned the gas-intake valve to the “emergency” stash… little did we know that she “accidentally” turned it to the “off” stash… why this is even an option I do not know… but Julian and I puttered out after about 5 meters… causing me to honk the horn continuously, praying that Donna would turn around and come save us in the middle of the pitch-black highway.  Well, it wasn’t quite pitch-black… we managed to run out of gas right in front of the only house within 100 meters that had a group of about 20 people standing outside, wondering what the h*ll these two foreigners were even doing on their street (just kidding, they didn’t say anything, but they did chuckle a bit at us… I have to admit, even I was laughing… terrified of being left, but laughing nonetheless).  As if our troubles couldn’t have gotten worse, we had more to come…

I could think of a hundred things that would be worse than what happened next, but it was still quite comical and miserable at the same time.  It started pouring down rain as we reached the halfway point.  It was raining so hard that the wallet in my back pocket was drenched by the time we got home (even the money was soaking wet… and, yes, I took my wallet out when I went swimming).  It was quite funny and Julian let me borrow his hat so I could see while I drove, it was a life saver, considering I could not see a thing before he put it on my head.  We arrived back in Catarman drenching wet and, for the first time in the Philippines, I was cold.

No comments: