Monday, January 26, 2009

General Thoughts: Driving in the Philippines

First off, this should not be done by the untrained man or woman (come to think of it, no offense, but I have not seen one woman Jeepney, Pedestrian, Pedicab or Taxi driver since I have been here.  Then again, I don’t see too may woman Taxi Cab drivers in the state either).

Driving in the Philippines, like anywhere in the world, is up to you if you want to risk your life in a taxi/pedicab/jeepney… either way, you are going to have to do it.  If you would rather not, cancel your ticket to the Philippines and go to someplace where it is safer… like anywhere (my parents would disagree, they would say it can’t be worse than India).  Road lines are mere suggestions, they should not be taken seriously.  This was made apparent to me on my initial ride from the airport to my hostel.  It seemed the taxi was using the road lines to center his car, not as a divider.  Also related to road lines, the yellow line in the center of the road, used to divide traffic, should not be taken seriously either, as I am still not sure which side of the road persons in the Philippines are supposed to drive on.  Doors are locked, so peddlers on the street can’t hassle, or even take, passengers in a taxi.  Taxis need to turn on their meter when you get in or they might con you into paying more for your taxi ride than it should be; as I am sure they could get me pretty easily.  A fifteen minute cab ride in the U.S. can cost anywhere between $20 and $40.  In Manila, the cost is anywhere from 150 to 250 pesos ($3.50 to $4.75).

Side note:  My currency conversions are not exact, but more used as a frame of reference (Andy)… so back off all of you accountants (Cale)!

No comments: