Monday, January 26, 2009

January 22, 2009 - Visa Extension and other Items to Note (Morning)

Well, I had my first taste of the language barrier frustrations (Day 1 in Manila) today when I went to the “old Spanish Style” part of Manila, next to the Immigration Offices.  I was looking for a SIM Card to put in my phone for local use and these SIM cards are “available at any 7-Eleven”.  Problem is, there is no signage for any store…  So I would ask where a 7-Eleven was and (very nicely) people would not know what I was talking about.  Luckily, I found one when I was at my last straw (after looking for 2 hours).  I looked up and, voila!  A 7-Eleven!  I got lucky and was standing underneath one as an unplanned parade (looked like) passed me by on the street of about 2,000 people.  So I was on my merry way.

Now, as to not have a complete culture shock on my first day in Manila, I went to a Starbucks and tried to get my newly purchased SIM card to work, it didn’t, obviously.  So now, onto my next adventure… the mall!  Again, trying to not get too much of a culture shock on my first day.  This trip (to the mall) is more out of necessity than anything, as a text from my phone to a local phone costs around $3.  Also, I have read that Manila is known for being “One Big Shopping Mall”, so I have to see what that is all about (see more on “Robinson’s Mall”).

General Comment:  The people in Manila are extremely nice to me.  Everyone is always smiling and (hoping that I will take them up on it) offering up various goodies.  These goodies include, but are not mutually exclusive, kabobs (Haley), soft drinks, unmentionables and even small children (on a serious note, Manila is extremely poor and there are beggars and peddlers everywhere you go.  The streets are covered in “trash juice” and many people are well under developed (short and small… I don’t mean 5 feet tall, more like 3 feet tall), I would assume this is due to malnutrition.  All of this is overshadowed by how nice the people are.)  There is a reason Filipinos are known as “The Nicest People on Earth”.

By the way, it is really hot here.

While at Starbuck’s, I was talking to two very different sets of people.  One guy, who, I was sure was here to find a wife (real grease-ball and acted really tough… from Miami) was telling me all of these places to go.  I smiled and nodded and acted like I was interested in what he was talking about, cause that is what he wanted…  I could tell not too many people paid attention to him.  His time with me was short-lived, as a “random” guy came in and said, “I can process your visa for you for 6,000 pesos.”  The American became infuriated and told him that he could do it himself for 3,000 pesos (as he stated he paid last time he was here, see “wife” comment above)… He even had the receipt!  This guy was a real card to say the least.  Anywho, he left with the “random” and I was freed.  I am not sure what news station this guy is going to be end up on, but keep your eyes peeled.

The second set of people were the extreme opposite.  They looked to be college students at the local University.  Actually, they looked to be high school students, but since it is the middle of the day and one of them works at Starbuck’s, I can only assume they go to the University.  That is another thing, people here, as in most parts of Asia, look very young, I would say 5-10 years younger than they are.  I don’t know if it’s that Americans and Europeans just don’t take care of themselves or it is just the nature of the beast, but for the most part, it makes Filipinos a lot less intimidating, this helps with the acclamation into the culture… and their smiles.

Anywho, these two students were very friendly and talkative.  The man, who was bubbly, to say the least, wanted to talk about Obama and the inauguration (he also wanted to talk about “Gossip Girl”, which I am happy to say, I could provide no input).  He said he stayed up all night watching the ceremonies and Obama’s speech.  He was very excited (which seems to be the norm around here for Obama’s election).  Every cab I have been in so far (which has only been two) has had some story on Obama and some sound bites from his speech, quite astounding that they would care that much.  It is funny to talk to foreigners about politics.  In the US, for the most part, people have their sides (Republican or Democrat), but the people I have talked to here just assume that I was on the side for Obama.  Granted, I don’t care if he generalized, bit I think he thinks that Obama received 100% of the votes.  I wonder if the person elected into office in the Philippines receives 100% of the votes (or 70% or something)?  I shall have to research this.  I vaguely remember reading that most elected Prime Ministers of the Philippines get overthrown by military coups, so maybe that is what Hillary has in store for Obama… that was a joke.

Old Spanish Style Village (Intramuros)

This place was recommended to me by the person that came before me to Catarman.  It was a great suggestion.  The town is bustling, to say the least, with people and energy.  My favorite part was the old architecture and the people were extremely nice.  I stopped in for a Coca-Cola and a smile to a local eatery and the owner and her brother chatted my ear off, asking me about politics and America.  There was a parade through the streets and thousands of people everywhere (based on what I could tell, there didn’t need to be a parade for there to be people everywhere as the parade seemed to come as a surprise to everyone, including me).

There was a church (San Agustin Cathedral) that was very nice and founded by Catholocism (obviously).  I have read that the main Filipino religion is Christianity by a whopping 90% of the population, closely followed by Muslims (5%).  I did not get any pictures of these places, but I can assure you that these are definitely places to see while you are in Manila.  You get a very good sense of the people and how the culture really is in the area.  It is also a great way to pass time as you are waiting for your visa-extension request.

No comments: