Friday, January 30, 2009

January 28, 2009-The Real Deal

Well, I have learned a lot about methodology and different aspects of micro-financing, but nothing can really prepare you for what you are actually going to be doing (in my case observing).  I had the privilege of accompanying Albert (one of the Loan Officers out of the Hina Branch, where I am staying) to two of his center meetings.  The first meeting was approximately 15 km away and I wasn’t sure we were going to make it (Albert is an aggressive motor-biker to say the least)… but I am still here to type this, so that is a good sign.  When we arrived, we entered the “Center Building” which was located just off of the road.  The Center Building is where the weekly local meetings occur (different than the Branch Office, which is located in the city).  During these meetings, payments are collected and various items are discussed with the clients (in most cases, these are women, in this case, all women).  We entered the center and all of the ladies were very nice and spoke English to me and I enjoyed their company. 

It didn’t really hit me until later that these were the poorest people in Northern Samar.  They were so nice and so happy, that I didn’t even think about the 5000 peso loan that they were struggling to pay off (about $100).  I didn’t know what to expect, but they pleasantly surprised me and I think they were pleasantly pleased with my company as well.  I only say this because they would say something in the local dialect or to another client or under their breath and then they would all laugh (as they looked at me) and Albert would laugh, but would not privy me to the information… probably better that way.   I did understand one joke however, cause it was in English.  One of the older clients picked up a child and carried her to me and forced her hand out for a handshake to me and said, “Meet your new Daddy.”  Everyone chuckled and the child walked back to the door and turned around, looked at me, pointed and said, “Daddy?”  The crowd roared.

Another item to note, everyone in the center looks after one another.  It is kind of like a club that only certain people in the community can join.  When a child would be crying, one of the members would walk out and console the child…  And near as I could tell, the child was probably not theirs.  Also, the women at the centers are very generous.  Bembooy had told me in a previous conversation that “In the Filipino culture, we are honored to have tourists as our guests.  So we treat them as honored guests” (This is in-line with everything that I have experienced so far, everyone is more than nice).  For example, at the second center meeting, where the average loan payment made in a week is 115 pesos ($2.25), the clients offered Albert and I a soft drink (30 pesos total).  A nominal amount for you or I, but that is more than 20% of one of their loan payments…  I was definitely moved.  Albert did joke, however, that that may be considered a bribe (he was joking with the clients) and they will not show the same generosity when I am not there next week (again, he was saying this to the clients)… they all laughed.

The rest of the day was pretty uneventful.  I just read the ASA Manual (Procedures) and caught up on some sleep that I didn’t get the night before because of Richard (the Rooster).  I also went to the gym I had written about earlier.  It was nice to break a sweat for a bit (Note: I have been sweating the entire time I have been here).  But I went to the gym and sweat my brains out for 30 minutes (yeah, then I started seeing spots in my vision and I figured that was enough)… So I went home and took a really cold shower for 20 minutes.  One thing, I don’t have an option to take a warm shower… nor would I want one cause it is typically 90 degrees and 70% humidity while I am here. 

Oh yeah, I almost forgot!  There was the first extended “Brown Out” today.  The power for the entire city was off for about 8 hours from around 11 to 7.  It was quite entertaining (now that the power is back on I can say that).  I have a head lamp, so I was not completely in the dark, but wasn’t sure if I was going to step on Charlie (the cockroach) or Larry (the lizard…  I forgot to mention that Leo died the other day… NOOOOO!!!! SNICKERSSS!!!!!! WHY??!!!... if you would like to know more regarding the “Snickers” story, please contact Haley Atchity at 816.555.5555).  Anywho, the lights came back on around 8 and the whole town erupted in cheers and applause… I have to admit, I even whistled.

Good luck and good night.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

No!!! Snickers!!!

Unknown said...

I know... it was something that had to be done... he was an old hampster... so sad...

Unknown said...

I know... it was something that had to be done... he was an old hampster... so sad...