Monday, February 16, 2009

Accomodations

I did not put this in my blog at first, partially because I forgot, but partially because I thought I wouldn’t have another option.  There are plenty of options in Catarman and a lot of Beach Resorts that I could choose to stay at, however, I did not know this upon arrival.  So, here we go (for Joel, I am rocking back and forth in my seat right now, pretending I am watching the Patriots play the Eagles):

I was on the cusp of my first night in the Hina Branch.  I am not sure if I described the branch, but will now.  My sleeping quarters are small; I can touch all four walls at the same time.  The kitchen works, but I don’t think I will use it (I am not sure if I can know what to cook here).  All in all, it is a humble accommodation from what I am used to in the United States. 

That being said, I was on the verge of biting the bullet and staying in a hotel that was recommended by my predecessor.  I decided to give it one night in the Branch and see how I fared.  Upon going to bed, I was reading “The Price of a Dream” and, in one of the later chapters, the author begins to talk about relief efforts and foreign aid.  He goes into a diatribe about how the contractors who come from different countries to work on these “rehabilitation” contracts for the country.  He continues to talk about these contractors time in the foreign country.  He doesn’t use the word “sheltered” but he might as well have.  He told about deluxe accommodations and air-conditioned rooms in Bangladesh and the acclimation period for workers.  It was interesting to read to say the least, but hit home pretty hard.  He stated that these contractors have the best intentions in the world before arriving, but they are so caught up in not changing their comfort zone that they don’t get in touch with the people at all and their vision is lost…  namely because they aren’t experiencing anything first-hand.  They are not walking in the crowded streets with all of the poor people they are trying to help.  They are getting carted around in their SUV’s from place to place and getting out at their destinations and complaining about the heat for ten minutes and then getting back into their SUVs.

I am not saying that I am a greater person than these contractors by any stretch of the imagination.  I am saying that I found it ironic that I was on the verge of making a decision to go back to what I am used to on the first night I was here.  I am very glad that I decided to stay in the branch.  I love it here.  I walk everywhere and meet a lot of locals and have made friends with some of the shopkeepers that are close.  It is not what I was used to, but it is beginning to become what I am used to.  Also, by no stretch of the imagination, am trying to say that I am “in touch” with the people of Northern Samar.  I have no recollection of a “brown-out” happening in Kansas City, but here it is just one thing that happens daily.  Over time, I may feel like I can equate to that, but I don’t know the hardships these people go through daily.  This is why I am so glad I decided to stay at Hina Branch, it is a taste of reality for me about the daily lives of the people of Catarman.  I just hope I can learn more to help and learn more about everything.  That being said, I am ready to go eat!

No comments: